For our first book club pick of 2021, we’re reading Nights When Nothing Happened by Texas author Simon Han, which was named a 2020 Best Book of the Year by TIME, the Washington Post, and Harper’s Bazaar. Lone Star Literary Life calls the debut novel, which follows an Asian American immigrant family living in the Dallas suburbs, a “comedic, harrowing, thoughtful exploration of displacement, home, [and] infectious fear.” It is “absolutely luminous,” says fellow Texas novelist (and two-time TBF alum) Bryan Washington, a story that “weaves the transience of suburbia between the highs and lows of a family saga.” Get it from BookPeople here!
Stay tuned for discussion details! Make sure you join the Austin360 Book Club Powered by TBF on Facebook for more book recommendations and monthly picks!
2020 book club picks:
- December: Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents by Isabel Wilkerson
- November: Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi
- October: Dear Justyce by Nic Stone
- September: The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones
- August: Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
- July: The City We Became by N.K. Jemisin
- June: How We Fight for Our Lives by Saeed Jones
- May: The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel
- April: Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang
- March: My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell
- February: You and I Eat the Same edited by Chris Ying
- January: Trust Exercise by Susan Choi