WHO: John Hodgman
WHAT: Speaking about Medallion Status: True Stories from Secret Rooms.
WHERE: Texas Book Festival, First United Methodist Church, 1201 Lavaca Street
WHEN: Saturday, October 26 at 4:30PM
BOOK TICKET: $25 | Includes one pre-signed copy of Medallion Status, priority seating at the session, and supports the Festival, a nonprofit Texas literacy organization! BOOK TICKETS NOW AVAILABLE!
PRIORITY SEATING: Priority seating for Book Ticket holders will open at 3:30PM on Saturday, October 26.
GENERAL PUBLIC SEATING: A limited amount of general open seating will be available to the public on a first-come, first-serve basis (no purchase necessary). General seating will open at 4:20PM and is available until the venue is full. The only way to guarantee admission to the session is to purchase a Book Ticket in advance.
MORE ABOUT THE EVENT:
- John Hodgman will take many questions from the audience. Pending local availability, he will also interview one or more famous corgis of Instagram.
- After the presentation, he will then sign and personalize copies of Medallion Status until there are none left to sign or personalize. Books will be available to purchase on-site, courtesy of BookPeople.
- You must have a physical copy of Medallion Status to enter the signing line.
- If you are one person who buys or brings TWO copies of Medallion Status, John Hodgman will personally hand you an exclusive reward.
- The first person to purchase SEVEN physical copies of Medallion Status at the event from the on-site bookseller will be automatically upgraded to the most comfortable seat available next to John Hodgman at the signing table, and that person (and one companion) may sit and chat with him throughout the signing.
- Other upgrades and loyalty bonuses will be announced on the night of the event. You will get your money’s worth. That is all.
ABOUT MEDALLION STATUS
After spending most of his twenties pursuing a career as a literary agent, John Hodgman decided to try his own hand at writing. Following an appearance to promote one of his books on The Daily Show, he was invited to return as a contributor. This led to an unexpected and, frankly, implausible career in front of the camera that has lasted to this very day, or at least until 2016. In Medallion Status, Hodgman explores the strangeness of his career, speaking plainly of fame, especially at the weird, marginal level he enjoyed it. Through these stories, readers learn many things that only John Hodgman knows, such as how to prepare for a nude scene with an oboe, or what it feels like to go to a Hollywood party and realize that you are not nearly as famous as the Property Brothers, or, for that matter, those two famous corgis from Instagram. And there are stories about how, when your television gig is canceled, you can console yourself with the fact that all of that travel that made your young son so sad at least left you with a prize: platinum medallion status with your airline.
ABOUT JOHN HODGMAN
John Hodgman is a writer, comedian, and actor. He is the author of The Areas of My Expertise, More Information Than You Require, That Is All, and Vacationland. He is the host of the popular “Judge John Hodgman” podcast and also contributes a weekly column under the same name for The New York Times Magazine.
What are Book Tickets?
Book Tickets guarantee ticket holders priority access to seating at an event and a signed copy of the book. They help us make sure we have enough books and seats for fans, and they make it easier for you to secure a signed copy of the featured book!
Each Book Ticket costs $25, the equivalent of one copy of Medallion Status. Each Book Ticket grants:
- One pre-signed copy of Medallion Status, to be received at First United Methodist Church on October 26.
- Priority access to seating at the session.
- Please note: all books will be pre-signed. There will not be a public signing at this event.
Book Ticket sales help fund the Festival Weekend, our Reading Rock Stars school literacy program, and our annual Texas Library Grants. Thank you for supporting the Texas Book Festival and literacy in Texas!