The Origins of Our Discontents: Isabel Wilkerson in Conversation with Saeed Jones
12:00 pm - 12:45 pm
Saturday, November 14, 2020
In her new book (Caste, longlisted for a National Book Award), Pulitzer Prize winner and Texas Book Festival alum Isabel Wilkerson explores the United States’ own invisible caste system: a hierarchy informed by race, class, and gender that affects everything in which we participate, from baseball games to presidential elections. Caste is a portrait of American inequality that shows how privilege and power shape our lives every day. Texas Book Festival alum and Kirkus Prize winner Saeed Jones leads the discussion.
- Moderator: Saeed Jones
- ASL interpreter: Vania Mollinedo
- Format: This is a free, live, virtual event.
- Q&A: Please direct questions to the authors and moderator with CrowdCast's "Ask a Question" button and not the chat box. Questions will be shared with the moderator, and the moderator will attempt to get to as many audience questions as possible toward the end of the session.
- Chat: Feel free to use the chat box to share your thoughts and virtually cheer for and share kudos with the session's participants! Disorderly comments will be removed immediately, at our producers' sole discretion. Please refer to the code of conduct.
- Books: Please consider clicking the "Buy the Book(s)" button below the video feed, which leads to BookPeople, Texas Book Festival's partner bookseller. Your purchase helps support the author(s), independent bookselling, and the Texas Book Festival. Thank you.