Submissions for the 2019 Festival are open January 14 – June 1, 2019.
The Texas Book Festival typically presents approximately 250-300 authors, from Texas and beyond, whose books are published in the year the Festival takes place. All authors who are invited to participate will be featured in a panel or solo session; the Festival does not feature authors for book signings only. Authors must be prepared to cover their own travel expenses to participate in the Festival.
The 2019 Texas Book Festival will take place in Austin, Texas on October 26-27, 2019.
Please read all of the following information before submitting a book to the Festival:
What are the submission guidelines?
To be considered for this year’s Festival, please send or have your publicist send us the following:
- Two copies of a finished book/galley/ARC/manuscript. Electronic submissions will not be considered; we must receive physical copies of the books.
- A press kit with author bio, marketing plan for the submitted book, review highlights you feel are pertinent, and list of previously publications. A press kit may be submitted electronically, however, the submission is not complete and the book will not be considered unless two copies of the book are physically mailed to the Texas Book Festival office.
- Topics which you are available to discuss.
- Information about your or your publisher’s ability to fund your own travel to Austin.
- Please mail these items to: Julie Wernersbach, Texas Book Festival, 1023 Springdale Road, Building 14, Suite B, Austin, Texas 78721
- Please note: We can no longer accept hand-delivered packages. Any packages dropped off or left outside our office will remain unopened and discarded. Please submit all packages through the US Postal Service, UPS, or FedEx.
When should a book be submitted?
We accept submissions of books January 14 through June 1 in the same year as the Festival. While we will consider books published up to 18 months prior to the start of the Festival, priority is given to books published within the Festival year.
Who decides which authors are invited?
An Author Selection Committee comprised of publishing and book professionals considers the submissions and chooses who will be invited. The bulk of invitations go out between the beginning of May and the end of August.
What types of books are considered?
While we review all books that are submitted, our main goal is to provide an excellent and diverse mix of literature for all visitors and participating authors featuring books from the following genres:
- Fiction — including all genres, such as thrillers and Westerns
- Narrative nonfiction — history, biography, memoir, and essays. Nonfiction books are considered from a variety of perspectives that encourage and engage in fair, respectful discussions of history, figures and ideas.
- Graphic novels
- Cookbooks and food-related titles
- Children’s and YA literature
- Art and architecture titles
- Titles with a Texas focus and titles written by Texas authors
What types of books are not considered?
The Texas Book Festival focuses on the promotion of literature and Texas literary culture; books on the topics of self-improvement, how-to, or books strictly of academic or religious interest will not be considered.
Should a self-published/printed author submit?
Self-published titles will only be considered if they meet the following criteria:
- The title is bound
- Printed copies can be available for our book seller to sell
- A professional has edited the work
- An established marketing plan has been made and is submitted with the title
- A functional author website exists
The consideration for self-published titles that meet the above criteria will be the same as traditionally published books, outlined above. For the 2019 Festival, we will not accept self-published titles that exist only in ebook format.
(512) 477-4055 or firstname.lastname@example.org.