TEXAS BOOK FESTIVAL COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING COORDINATOR
The Communications and Marketing Coordinator position with the Texas Book Festival is responsible for coordinating and executing the organization’s communication, marketing, publicity, and messaging efforts across multiple channels including email, website, social media, press releases, and print/digital advertising.
The Communications and Marketing Coordinator also coordinates communication with the TBF’s Public Relations agency of record and all TBF media trade relationships.
All TBF staff members help with planning work, event support, and communication strategies for the annual Texas Book Festival, the Texas Teen Book Festival, Reading Rock Stars, Real Read, and other literary events in Austin and around Texas throughout the year.
- Create, coordinate and oversee master communications by month schedule, including press releases, emails, website content, and social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
- Write and publish content for website, email blasts, social media channels, and promotional materials.
- Work with staff to develop innovative campaigns that promote TBF mission and program in new ways, engaging current audiences and attracting new followers.
- Solicit and coordinate content produced by TBF staff in their areas of responsibility (literary, development, school and library outreach, etc.).
- Meet monthly target goals for message and post frequency on website, email, and social media channels with goal to grow audiences in each channel. Ensure all communications items are executed on time, on brand, and in consistent language.
- Produce communications reports for TBF leadership and Board as needed.
- Draft all press releases, collecting and coordinating content from TBF staff.
- Coordinate TBF publicity during PR agency of record “off” months, including drafting press releases and sending final press releases to media outlets.
- Serve as TBF primary point of contact with PR agency of record during “on” months, responsible for monitoring communication and tracking deliverables.
- Serve as TBF primary point of contact with media trade partners, coordinating incoming and outgoing deliverables. Including researching and contacting new potential media trade partners, negotiating trades, and setting and meeting deadlines.
- Manage Festival author-specific outreach to book media outlets throughout the year, including establishing and cultivating relationships with book media contacts, developing story angles and pitch strategies.
- Design and execute day-to-day web and social media graphics, along with other TBF staff with graphic design skills.
- Work with graphic designer on print and digital ads, including meeting deadlines, sponsor tracking, and communicating with publications for specs and requirements
Texas Teen Book Festival
- Oversee Texas Teen Book Festival outgoing communications, including email blasts, social media channels, and graphics
- Coordinate TTBF major announcement press release schedule, coordinating announcement across all TTBF communication channels
Leadership and Management
- Manage communications and social media interns, overseeing their schedules, tasks, and recommendations, including TBF and TTBF interns
- Actively participate in and contribute to organization’s long-term strategic goals and success
- Actively contribute to a positive, professional, and respectful work environment. Support TBF team members when they need help
- Embrace the all-in commitment required to make the annual Festival a success and understand that evening and weekend work will be expected in the weeks leading up to the Festival and for some outreach and special events. Flexible hours and generous time off in the off-season are provided in recognition of extra work time needed for the Festival.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent communications skills with strong ability to convey the TBF brand consistently and effectively across multiple communications channels
- Two or more years of relevant work experience in communications, publicity, or marketing
- Knowledge of the book industry and current literary landscape, including industry structure, trends, and marketing practices preferred
- Ability to think creatively for the digital landscape. Enthusiasm and passion for creating content and generating fun and original marketing campaigns.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Attention to detail is critical for this position.
- Strong technological aptitude. Familiarity with and flexibility across platforms and operating systems expected
- Ability to think creatively to problem solve and promote the Texas Book Festival
- Dedication and enthusiasm for fulfilling the Texas Book Festival mission
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends when needed
- Some travel required
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Gavin Quinn at email@example.com with “Communications and Marketing Coordinator – [Your Name]” in the subject line. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.