Submissions for Texas Book Festival 2023 are open January 30 through May 30, 2023. Please read the following FAQs and instructions carefully before submitting your book.
The Texas Book Festival is scheduled to take place in-person in downtown Austin, Saturday and Sunday, November 11–12, 2023. When evaluating submissions, we consider not only a book’s literary merit but how and where it might fit within a genre and age-group balanced lineup.
Texas Book Festival 2023 will present 250–300 authors, from Texas and beyond, whose books are published within the 12 months preceding the Festival. All authors who are invited to participate will be featured in at least one session; most sessions are panels and conversation with authors and moderators. The Festival does not feature authors for book signings only, and spots for solo-author sessions are limited.
Please read all of the following information before submitting a book to Texas Book Festival for consideration for Festival 2023.
To be considered for this year’s Festival, please submit or have your publicist or representative submit all of the following. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
- One (1) physical copy of a finished book, galley, ARC, or manuscript shipped to the address below.
- A media kit with clippings and reviews and an author bio, including past publications when applicable, and additional information you consider relevant to the evaluation process. Please include your media kit when shipping your physical books or ARCs/galleys to the TBF office.
- A completed online submission form. After reading the information and FAQs below, you can submit a title via the form below.
Send materials to:
Texas Book Festival, ATTN: Literary Director, 1023 Springdale Road, Building 14, Suite B, Austin, TX 78721
- Incomplete submissions will not be eligible. Submissions are not considered complete until we have received all required materials.
- Completed submissions must be received by May 30, 2023.
- To be considered, books must be published in the 12 months prior to the Festival (between October 2022 and November 2023). Priority consideration will be given to books published in 2023 and, in particular, first releases rather than reprints in other formats.
- Each year we aim to ensure a diverse, vibrant, balanced mix of books and authors from many categories and genres, on many topics and themes, and for all age groups. When evaluating submissions, we consider not only a book’s literary merit but where it might fit in with the other work in the overall lineup. Please see the FAQ below to learn the types of books considered and not considered.
- Most invitations go out between May and August. If you are selected to be a part of the Festival program, you will hear from us no later than September 2023.
- Due to the large volume of submissions we receive, we are unable to reply to each submission and inquiry individually, though we do try.
- Once the full lineup for the Festival is announced in September 2023, we no longer consider other submissions for the Festival’s program.
- Submitted materials will not be returned.
When should a book be submitted?
Submissions are accepted on a rolling basis between January 30 and May 30. We encourage you to submit your book as soon as you can. Note that while we will consider books published up to 12 months prior to the start of the Festival (TKTKT 2023), priority is given to books—and particularly first editions rather than re-releases in other formats—published within the Festival year.
Who decides which authors are invited?
Invitations are issued at the discretion of the Literary Director, upon consultation with Author Selection Committees—which comprise published authors, writers, educators, and publishing professionals.
What types of books are considered?
We aim to provide an excellent and diverse mix of literature for all visitors and participating authors featuring books from the following genres:
- Art and architecture
- Cookbooks and food-related literature
- Children’s and young adult literature, including picture books and chapter books
- Fiction—all genres
- Graphic novels
- Narrative nonfiction—biography, essays, history, long-form journalism, and memoir. Nonfiction books are considered from a variety of perspectives that encourage and engage in fair, respectful discussions of history, figures, and ideas.
- Titles with a Texas focus and titles written by Texas authors
What types of books are not considered?
Texas Book Festival focuses on the promotion of literature, ideas, and literary culture. Books on the topics of self-improvement, how-to/instructional books, books primarily for business management and leadership audiences, devotionals, or books solely of academic or religious interest will not be considered. At this time we do not consider books available only in e-book or audio format. If you are unsure whether your book falls into one of these categories, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Should a self-published author submit?
Self-published titles will be considered only if they meet the following criteria:
- The title is bound.
- Printed copies are or will be available for purchase from an established wholesaler or distributor so that our partner bookseller can stock and sell them.
- The book has been separately developmentally/structurally edited, copyedited, and proofread by professional, experienced editors.
- The book has been professionally designed.
- The book has, or will have upon publication, an EAN barcode, an ISBN, and has on its copyright page an LCCN number.
- A marketing plan has been made and is submitted with the title. Please include within the plan whichever items you deem relevant: e.g., scheduled media appearances, bookstore visits, a brief bio, a list of where your book is available for purchase online or brick-and-mortar, etc.
- A functional and current author website exists.
Self-published titles that meet the above criteria will be considered and evaluated the same as traditionally published books.
Please first consult the FAQ above, and if the answer you’re seeking is not found there, please email email@example.com.